The Noordermarkt is a square in the Jordaan, a neighbourhood in the centre of Amsterdam. It is located on the Prinsengracht near the Westerstraat. In the centre of the square sits the Noorderkerk (church).
On the northeast side there is a picture of Woutertje Pieterse and Femke, 1971 by Frits Sieger. At the entrance of the church stands a bronze statue of three women with the caption: Together we are the strongest chain (1987), commemorating the Jordaan riots in July 1934, by Sofie Hupkens. On the facade of the church are plaques placed in memory of the call for the February strike and in memory of fellowship fellows during World War II.
During the construction in 1616, the square was christened Prinsenmarkt, after the nearby Prinsengracht. After the completion of the Noorderkerk in 1623, the name Noordermarkt replaced the name given by the city administration – Prinsenmarkt,. Until 1655 the square was largely occupied by the cemetery adjacent to the church.
Since 1987, a part of the square has been used for the farmers market, where organic products are sold. The Noordermarkt is held on Saturdays (organic market) and on Mondays (clothing and antiques).
The farmer’s market was an initiative started by the former bar owner of the Winkel Cafe.
The market began in 1987 with a handful of organic producers and has become the largest organic farmers market in the Netherlands.